view counter

All Fortune 500 companies have been hacked: 97% know it, the other 3% don’t

Published 8 January 2014

Ninety-seven percent of Fortune 500 companies have been hacked,” says Peter Singer, “and likely the other 3 percent have too, they just don’t know it.” Singer, director of the Brookings Institution’s Center for 21st Century Security and Intelligence, and author of the 2009 bestseller Wired for Warpaints, and co-author Allan Friedman paint a gloomy picture in the opening pages of their new book Cybersecurity and Cyberwar: What Everyone Needs to Know (Oxford University Press). Following a year of massive data breaches within both the U.S. government and private industry, an honest assessment of the cybersecurity landscape is only appropriate. “This is now a very real problem, one that we have to recognize, that we have to manage,” Singer says in a conversation with Fortune. “Stop looking for others to solve it for you, stop looking for silver bullet solutions, and stop ignoring it.”

Source: All Fortune 500 companies have been hacked: 97% know it, the other 3% don’t